Thursday, July 18, 2013

Three Is Not A Crowd

Hey Guys,

Thank you so much for your kind words on my last post. It really means a lot to me. I know I've lost pigs in the past and I was incredibly sad when I lost Emma and Mama Pig... but I am devastated that I lost Frida. She was always MY pig, we had a special bond. I'll never find another pig like her. I wish she was here with me, but alas she can't be... and I have to try to move on.

First and foremost, I have to make sure my piggies are ok. As always, I am checking Nellie and Maggie for signs of depression. I especially concerned about them because Frida died in her cage. They saw her, they KNEW she was gone. Mama and Emma died in quarantine cages. Maggie has been very mopey, she spent most of Monday in one of their hide-y houses. I actually removed the house to encourage some movement from her. It seems to have helped a little, but the laziness could be from the weather as well. I wasn't exactly worried for Nellie at first, on the count that she is as dumb as rock but over the past few days she's taken the habit of laying where Frida died. Frida died out in the open, not in a hide-y house, not in a corner, nothing. So for her to be there on more than one occasion is concerning me to say the least. I'm looking into long term solutions to keep them happy and healthy. Part of me wonders if I missed some signs of depression in Frida, that she had some sickness that slowly took over once Mama died. I dunno... but I cannot take that chance. For the time being I keeping them happy by given them extra snuggles, but more importantly delicious food. Let's face it, in the short term, food makes them happier. They got a fair amount of peppers on Monday (again, peppers are really great for pigs, they should have the red or yellow ones whenever possible). Today they got several super delicious treats. I gave them frozen watermelon cubes, yummy! Seriously, all pig owners going through this heatwave need to obtain some watermelon, cut it into cubes, put the cubes into the freezer until they are completely frozen, let them thaw a little and then give them to the piggies. This can also apply to cucumbers. Last thing I need is a pig to die of a heatstroke.

As for me, I'm just trying to keep busy. Making sure I keep Maggie and Nellie alive consumes some of my time... but it's depressing. Looking at their massive cage and seeing just two pigs there. It looks so... empty. I don't like that it's empty. I don't like that I only need three treats to feed all the pigs. Obviously there is only one solution to this... MOAR PIGS. Yup, I am looking to expand my piggie family. I would simply put Aggie in with Maggie and Nellie but that is a TERRIBLE idea. Aggie's nickname is "Fat Bastard" not only is she a fat ass, she's vicious with pigs she doesn't like. This attitude has caused injuries to both Maggie and Aggie in the past, so it is simply not worth the risk. Now, one does not simply acquire new pigs. I refuse to go to a pet store, so I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled on petfinder and Craigslist until someone catches my eye. I guess I'm looking for a new friend for Maggie and Nellie, but also a new friend for me too.

Apart from the pig hunt, I have Cripplefest to keep me occupied and happy. As sad as I may be at the moment I'm still very much looking forward to seeing my cripples and being attacked by a bunch of mini-cripples. I'm hoping that seeing a massive amount of cripple friends will help me cope with the loss of my furry friend.

Ugh... I don't know if it's just me... but it feels like there's been so much death recently. Actually, I kinda hope that's just me. I don't want any of my comrades to be sad. To make up for this extraordinarily depressing post, here's a picture of Helen being lady-like...


Ain't she a classy broad? Well, I reckon I should make an attempt at getting some sleep. Here's to hoping that all of our tomorrows will be better :)

Crippie's Tippie - Frozen fruits and veggies keep your pigs cool and content.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, my heart breaks for you for losing Frida. Those dear sweet little animals are such a big part of our lives and we love them so much. Losing one is like losing a child! I love that picture of Helen - what a ham! She's just screaming for a belly rub!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...