Thursday, February 6, 2014

Crippie Remembers Pete Seeger

Greetings!

Thank you guys sooooooo much for all of your support for my little jewelry business. I made a facebook page for 'em, if you wanna check it out click HERE.

I hope all my readers are staying warm during this most recent winter storm. I don't know about you guys, but Crippie is beyond done with these storms. The cold hurts my joints, the snow limits where I can go, AND literally every place I have gone in the past few days has used at least one (or the only) handicap parking spot as a dumping place for snow. UGH! It feels like this weather is restricting and suffocating me. One day I'll probably move somewhere without snow, but for now I must unfortunately deal with it. Any recommendations of nice, dry places to live? Preferably without scorpions. :)

Moving on, as you may know Pete Seeger, arguably the greatest folk singer ever passed away on January 27th at the age of 94. I was absolutely devastated when the news of his death broke. I was raised on Pete Seeger's music and still listen to it (I'm listening to Turn, Turn, Turn right now). He was such a talented musician and singer, a bad ass activist (performing at the Occupy Wallstreet rallies, being blacklisted, all that fun stuff) but also a genuinely awesome person. Crippie would like to share a lil' story about my mother's own personal experience with Pete Seeger...
"When I was about 11, 3 civil rights workers were murdered in Mississippi. Having been raised in the ways of Pete Seeger and the Weavers, Woody Guthrie and others in the folk music scene, I did what you were supposed to do, and I wrote a song about it. Not a bad song for an 11 year old folkie, and my mom sent it to Pete Seeger, who actually answered! His secretary signed the letter, but Pete Seeger sent my song to Broadside Magazine! They never published it, but it didn't matter. I had this letter from my hero. It's framed and hanging in our hallway, together with the letter I received from Robert and Carolyn Goodman, parents of Andy Goodman, one of the murdered civil rights workers. This is one of my most treasured mementos, one of my most treasured memories."

How amazing is that? BTW, if any of you youngins' have never heard of the event my mother is referring to, click HERE, events like that should not be forgotten.

Here are a few of Crippie's favorite Pete Seeger songs. I know a lot of younger people don't always appreciate this kind of music, but maybe they need to be educated. (Yes, I know he didn't write some of these songs, but they're fantastic covers regardless)









Think that's enough of 'em? Believe me this is a small sampling of my favorite Pete Seeger songs. 

Rest in Peace Pete, thank you for the music <3

Crippie's Tippie - If you haven't checked out Pete Seeger's music... do it... now.

1 comment:

  1. I felt sad too when he passed on. I enjoyed much of his music and enjoyed playing some again in your blog. That is awesome about the letter he wrote your mom. What an honor for her to have him even acknowledge her song and encourage her to keep writing. Has she written anymore? I'm going over to your Face Book page right now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...