Sunday, June 19, 2011

Awesome TV Show- The Little Couple

Hola!

First off... HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!!!

When I'm not watching cartoons I watch medical shows and documentaries. One of my favorite medical related tv shows is "The Little Couple" on TLC. "The Little Couple" is a reality show that follows Bill Klein and Jen Arnold as they go about their lives as newlyweds. Both Bill and Jen have dwarfism, thus the title of the show. It's one of my favorite shows for several reasons.
1) It shows the daily challenges of someone with a disability.
2) Bill Klein and Jen Arnold are insanely successful people, even without the reality show. The show proves that disabled people can lead very fulfilling lives.
3) As time progresses the viewer sees them less and less as "dwarves" but rather as people.
4) They have a very positive attitude about their disabilities. They acknowledge the challenges that being a dwarf can bring, but they rise to the occasion and continue on with their lives.


And while it was on television the show "Little People, Big World" was also quite inspiring. At first people thought of it as a show about a family of dwarves, eventually people thought of it as a show about the Roloff family.

Shows like this help the able bodied community become less "afraid" if you will of people with visible disabilities. I cannot count how many times I've seen a stranger look at me with a weird look because I walk with a crutch, I wish people would stop being so sensitive and look beyond the crutch. I really hope shows like "The Little Couple", "Little People, Big World" and countless other medical documentaries help people do that.

Crippie's Tippie- Just because a disability might be the first thing you see, that doesn't mean it's the first thing you should remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...